Subject: Re: Booting sd0 (disk geometry versus bios geometry)
To: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/10/1998 11:29:51
>Yeah. Especially when you tell the system some geometry as you think
>it is right and it then tells you that is not, but won't tell you how
>to make it better.

Which geometry, though?  The MBR partition (slice), or the BSD
disklabel(5) used in the beginning of the BSD slice?

>The other problem is that you only see that you did a mistake after
>installing the three basic sets which makes some long cycle times of
>try and error ;-(

But what kind of mistake are you making, and what should sysinst do to
let you catch it?  Is the problem  with the  C/H/S geometry in the MBR,
or with the  disklabel(5) geometry?

As best I can tell, for the BIOS C/H/S geometry in the MBR, the
i386-specific code already does this via the "confirmbiosgeom" menu,
where you are shown the geometry and get to choose either "Reenter
geometry" or a "Continue with installation".

Is the problem, maybe, that you're trying to specify a disklabel(5)
geometry, the geometry is passing sysinst's checks, but writing the
BSD disklabel is failing?