Subject: Re: Booting sd0 (disk geometry versus bios geometry)
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/10/1998 04:43:54
> "Me too" in that with a new disk disklabeled with an offset of 0 a
> particular (new) pc froze totally, yet when this disk was plugged into
> an old 66MHz pentium, the latter booted fine. Re-disklabeling with an
> offset of 63 allowed the new pc to boot, which I believe is what
> sysinst does by default.

Not in my experience. sysinst (or perhaps disklabel, when it is writing
bootstrap code) keeps wanting to blow away my DOS partition table and MBR.
With 1.2 I was able to use Disk Manager to fix things, but with 1.3.2 I let
it use the real disk geometry for NetBSD and it put that into the MBR, which
totally confused all my DOS utilities. I had to boot my old 1.2 installation
and use pfdisk to re-establish my usual DOS partitions. (Why didn't I have
a bootable 1.3.2 system at that point? Long story, trust me.)

Only a couple files on my DOS C & D partitions got fluffed, according to
scandisk. Fortunately they were not critical and I did not have to reinstall
win95.

But you can tell that I am slowly building up a grudge against sysinst.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com