Subject: Re: Booting sd0 (disk geometry versus bios geometry)
To: None <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@cs.chalmers.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/10/1998 12:45:19
>>>>> Heiko W Rupp writes:

Heiko> While this compatibility thing with other OS etc. is nice if
Heiko> you want to use more than one OS on disk, it is crap when using
Heiko> the entire disk for NetBSD.

No, that is not true. At least not if you are talking about the need
to create a small DOS partition even on a NetBSD only disk. This saved
me just the other day. (Does sysinst do this by default nowadays?)

The problem is that some "modern" BIOSes refuse to boot a disk without
an "approved" partition table.

In my case I added a NetBSD-only IDE disk to an otherwise SCSI
system. The disk worked fine (from NetBSD) until I told the BIOS that
there were an IDE disk present, and rebooted. Then it hung during the
IDE disk probing! I can't see this as any kind of geometry problem,
because it happened long before it was even trying to boot from a disk
(which would have been one of the SCSI disks, not the IDE disk).

As soon as I repartitioned the IDE disk and added a small DOS
partition everything worked fine.

Just my 0.02 SKR,

	-- Urban