Subject: Re: sound blaster, etc.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/1998 17:36:26
At 01:31 PM 7/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On 09 Jul 1998 15:47:42 -0400
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>
> > It appears that sound blasters and most other sound cards these days
> > use IRQ 5.
> >
> > Our default configs use IRQ 7.
> >
> > Are there any objections to my changing the defaults in GENERIC from
> > irq 7 to irq 5 for the sound blaster?
>
>That would be fine... esp considering IRQ 7 is usually used by the
>parallel port!

Since it caused major problems for me, I'm wondering why there is _ANY_
sound card support in the GENERIC kernel?  What is the definition of GENERIC?

Without the help of Andrew Gillham (who sent me a kernel without wss since
wss was conflicting with sb), I wouldn't have been able to get NetBSD
running on my PC.  I've been using it for years on an SS1 and would like to
continue using *nix at my new but SPARCless job.

Steven Grunza
voice:  (609) 234 - 5020 ext 3101
pager:  (888) 986 - 3174
fax:    (609) 234 - 5242