Subject: D-Link DE-220PCT (NE2000 clone) doesn't probe correctly
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/1998 23:15:22
I'm trying to install NetBSD on a friend's system, and I can't get the
ethernet card working... it's a D-Link DE-220PCT, a Plug and Play ISA
NE2000 clone, and it's installed in an AST Advantage Pro 486SX/25 with
20MB RAM. So far, I've tried NetBSD 1.3, 1.3.2, and -current
INSTALL-SMALL kernels, and a NetBSD-current custom kernel. They all fail
with the same problem.

And the problem is... NetBSD probes the card as a NE2000, with MAC
address 00:c8:a7:00:00:00. The actual address is 00:80:c8:4d:a7:f7, so
it's like it's skipping every other byte. ifconfig seems to work, but
neither sending nor receiving work correctly. When sending, it does seem
to send stuff out the wire, but it sends junk. When receiving, I get a
bunch of "NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length" errors... the
length varies, but 511 is pretty common.

It's not the card, since I've got two of 'em, and they both behave
identically... the DOS diagnostic utility likes the card too. But
NetBSD's not completely broken either, since the same card works fine in
another machine (some generic motherboard w/an AMD 5x86).

BTW, in PnP mode, it used port 0x280, IRQ 5, which should be fine... I
also tried disabling the PnP and set it to 0x300, IRQ 10, but it still
didn't work.

Now, the _really_ weird thing is that about a month ago, I tried a
-current (as of then) INSTALL floppy, and it worked. As far as I know,
the only thing that changed is when it was working, I had a ~100MB
Quantum 2.5" IDE drive hooked up, and now, it's got a NEC D3747 1.6GB
IDE drive. I have no idea how that'd make a difference though...

So, anyone have any ideas?
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++