Subject: Re: Frustrating FPOS
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1998 00:19:38
On Jul 5,  9:37pm, Grant Stockly wrote:
>Sounds like you hve old BIOS that doesn't have an EDPT (Extended Disk
>Partition Table) built in.  That means that the bios fakes the hard drive
>cylinders/heads/and sectors to get win/dos to work.  If you install netbsd
>or redhat, the FDISK that comes with those should work fine.

I've tried the install with the LBA config (1023/64/63) and CHS config
(4092/16/63), giving the whole disk to NetBSD.  The install went just
fine in both cases, but without Seagate's Disk Manager overlay, it just
won't boot.  And I'm afraid that it was the overlay that was causing my
first problem.  I'm starting to believe it's time for a new MB for this
FPOS.  Hmm, unless I can find a replacement BIOS...  Anyone know where
I'd look for one?

Thanks,
~Steve

--