Subject: Frustrating FPOS
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/1998 18:25:23
I have this Gateway FPOS that is frustrating me to no end.  I can't get it
to properly interact with the disk I bought for NetBSD.  Here's what I have:

Gateway 486DX/33 with Phoenix 486 ROM BIOS Vers 0.10 G21-2
Seagate ST32122A/U 2.1GB (Ultra DMA [EIDE])

I had set this disk up (only HD on the system) with Seagate's DiscWizard
Disk Manager program.  Everything went swimmingly until the usr partition
got to ~500MB used, then it started acting like it was having problems
reading the disk (couple of head seeks, sit for 10 secs, repeat forever).
So I thought I'd try a surface scan to verify the disk, and maybe some
different BIOS geometries.  This is what I tried...

Boot DOS from floppy
Escape to BIOS to set geometry.  I've tried:
  User mode, 1023 cyl, 64 head, 63 sec
  Auto mode, 2046 cyl, 32 head, 63 sec
  User mode, 4092 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec
Exit, reboot to DOS from floppy
fdisk /mbr
fdisk, delete exisiting partition, create new one
Reboot to DOS from floppy
format /s c:
copy pkunzip.exe and a zipped file to c:
change to c: drive and try to unzip the file

In all cases, I'd get read errors upon trying to execute pkunzip or when
pkunzip was trying to read the file.  In no case was I able to boot from
the HD, all I got was read errors.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it that I have a FPOS box which needs
a motherboard transplant?

Thanks,
~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're
on.