Subject: Re: Multi-port serial driver?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/1998 00:15:15
>I got a PCI card - as I had no ISA slots left :-)
>The packaging calls it a VScom PCI-800.
>It has 8 x 16C750 UARTS with 64 byte FIFOs
>It probes as:

Yikes, this is really a no-name card, isn't it? :-)  PLX Technology
makes a number of PCI interface chips, so I suspect that this is
based on one of their chips.

AFAIK there's nothing like this in the NetBSD tree, but since it uses
16X50's, it _should_ be possible to write a PCI attachment for the
com driver, a la the boca or ast drivers.  That's only a theory,
of course ...

What you might do to start is look at your board, see if it does
have a PLX Technology chip on it, and go to their web site
(www.plxtech.com) and download the documentation for the chip that
you have on your card (you have to register, but registering doesn't
seem to require anything ...).  Then look at the docs for the PLX
chip to see if doing a com attachment would be feasable.

--Ken