Subject: Re: Booting sd0 (disk geometry versus bios geometry)
To: None <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/1998 10:57:50
>The disk has more than 1024 cylinders, so I assume the problem has
>something to do with that. I disklabeled it with the sysinst program,
>and it asked me if I wanted to use the real geometry or any other. I
>chose to use the real geometry.
>
>Is it the AHA BIOS that changes the geometry so the disk has less than
>1024 cylinders, and the disklabel (and boot loader) I wrote is placed
>in a way on the disk so that it cannot be loaded?
>
>If so, which geometry should I use for disklabelling? Or: How can I
>determine the logical geometry that the AHA BIOS reports?

If you want to boot from it, choose the geometry that the BIOS reports.
The boot loader uses BIOS routines to load the kernel, so the geometry
must be the same to make sure offsets in the disk are calculated
corectly.

--
Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu        !gifs: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html