Subject: RE: About SMP
To: None <edelcamp@easynet.fr, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <mvanloon@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/1998 00:05:43
Because it's not supported?

Only Intel can use Intel's MPU spec, because they own the patent on it,
and I suspect nobody else is willing to pay through the nose for the
rights.  AMD and Cyrix announced affiliation with some Open hardware MPU
spec some time back, but I doubt they ever even bothered designing it
into any of their chips.  Even if they did, nobody will build a
motherboard with that spec because it isn't compatible with Intel.

Thus, you must buy Intel chips for MPU boards.