Subject: Re: Intel 82558 Ethernet Controller
To: Jasper Wallace <jasper@argonet.co.uk>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/02/1998 08:48:24
In message <Pine.SGI.3.96.980702141453.18011J-100000@box.argonet.co.uk>, Jasper
 Wallace writes:

>I'm planning on getting a ASUS P2B-LS Motherboard
>(http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-ls/index.html)
> for a nfs server I'm setting up, the onboard Adaptec AIC 7890 is supported,
>according to the suported hardware page at:

The AIC 7890 is *not* supported.  There was a message on
netbsd-users very recently asking this.  FreeBSD has some
support for the 789x chips, but it requires their CAM SCSI
framework.

>http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/index.html, but i can't find any mention of
>the Intel 82558 ethernet adaptor thats on the board too, intel has a page for
>it at: http://developer.intel.com/design/network/datashts/297360.htm .

That is the chip on the newer EtherExpress Pro 100+ cards
(which work beautifully), so if for some reason the onboard
ethernet doesn't work it probably wouldn't be too hard to make
work.