Subject: Re: aperture driver?
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/1998 23:33:58
Brad Spencer writes:
>    > In particular, because some of the X servers need it.  The ATI Mach64 one,
>    > for example.  Apparently, others can get some benefit from it.  This was
>    > certainly true in the near past and I presume is still true.
>
>    Did they need it even if you were using 'options INSECURE'?  Last I
>    heard, with 'options INSECURE', you didn't need it for any server.
>

> I can not, perhaps, comment with completely accuracy on this topic as I
> certainly had to use the aperture driver in the 1.0 and 1.1 days with the
> Mach64 X server and I never stopped until I got a new card which did not
> need it.

You didn't answer Chris's question.

I have personally run the Mach64 driver under 1.1 with options
INSECURE. I've never used the arpeture "driver" which is next to
useless -- it is just "options INSECURE" packaged as a driver for
practical purposes. Why bother?

I would suggest not using the "driver". It doesn't help anything.

Perry