Subject: Re: About SMP
To: None <edelcamp@easynet.fr>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/1998 08:42:15
On Jun 23, Eric Delcamp wrote
> Hi !
>
> About multi-processing, someone certainly know why AMD K6 or Cyrix processors
> could not be used on bi-pentium boards....

Well, I don't remember the exact details, but I should be able to find them
if needed.
On multi-processor boards, you need some extra bits and a communication
protocol in order to maintain cache-coherency. This is for both level of cache,
so the processor needs to implement this. Now, AMD and Cyrix implemented
their own cache sync protocol (so you need a different motherboard with
different chipsets) or didn't implement any protocol (so these processors
can't be used on multi-processor systems at all).
I'm not sure why they didn't implememt intel's protocol, maybe it's a
licencing issue.