Subject: RE: wt driver conflict with ????
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 19:58:55
>I've had countless numbers of wd8013 (SMC) cards reprogrammed by this !@#$
>probe.  If you are thinking of uncommenting that silly ancient cdrom in
>the GENERIC and INSTALL kernels I have one word for you:

It sounds to me like you're mixing up the mcd problem with
the el/wt probe problem.  Charles Hannum described it thus:
  }Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:38:27 -0400 (EDT)
  }From: "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@mit.edu>
  }
  }The old problem was:
  }
  }* The el probe overwrote two bytes in the SMC card's EPROM area.
  }
  }* The wt probe toggled the (undocumented) bit that told the SMC card
  }  to write back the data to the EPROM.

>And
>no.. I wont test if it's been fixed.. I've reprogrammed my 3 cards about 4
>times each now and I'm pretty sick of it.  ;)

Tim, I booted the mcd driver on a machine with an SMC at 0x300, a few
seconds ago.  It works fine.  I'm about to add a config option tod
disable the bogon "promiscuous" probe; then it'll work even if I
comment out the smc config line and leave 0x300 vacant.