Subject: Re: wt driver conflict with ????
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 13:51:49
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
> > Since the ed driver split, this comment is not accurate. [snip]
>
> Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com> replies:
> >i seem to recall that the 'wt' and 'el' drivers combined to hose any
> >'we' card at their address.
>
> Uh, Is this to update the comment, or to re-enable the driver?

It was a statement of the old problem, as best I understood it.

I don't remember what the exact interaction was.  Basically, one of
them enabled EEPROM writing accidentally, the other actually wrote bad
bits.

> All those drivers use port accounting, so we could turn it on in
> GENERIC as long as we make sure that 'wt' proves after 'we'-- same
> trick used for ISA bha vs aha probes.

As noted, I'm not sure of the exact relationship of the actions of the
'wt' and 'el' probes with the problem, but yes, that solution could
work.  (I'm not sure if it would also be necessary to put 'el' after
the we probe -- depends on what, exactly, the cause of the bug was.)

cgd