Subject: Sun giving away Solaris X86 source.
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 20:34:52
Greetings, I thought this might be of some interest to NetBSD users:

According to ZD Net, Sun will be announcing later on this week that it will
give away the Solaris X86 source in order to jump start development for the
OS, which is in danger of becoming irrelevant on the Intel platform.

This means that we can finally put the Solaris X86 libraries into a NetBSD
package source, like we do for linux, for population under "/emul/svr4/"
so that we can all of those nifty Solaris programs including oracle and
the latest Java tools.  :-)

Now if only Mafiasoft will port their Internet Explorer Browser and other
Solaris Sparc applications to Solaris X86, which of course is trivial from
a technical point of view but difficult from a monopolist point of view.

Alicia.