Subject: Re: O/S Support for large [512Mb] PC systems
To: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
From: Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 03:47:50
Mike Smith wrote in message ID
<199806220433.VAA03531@antipodes.cdrom.com>:
> Before going any further, you may wish to consider the solutions offered
> by NetApp (http://www.netapp.com), as well as the Vixie Enterprises Web
> Gateway Interceptor, available from Mirror Image
> (http://www.mirror-image.com).

The WGI is no more. I heard (unofficially) that the product was pulled.
Mirror Image is now selling the Cisco CacheEngine. A rather unremarkable
product which apparently most people find deficient.

If the person is looking for pure web caches, they may also consider
CacheFlow (http://www.cacheflow.com) and Inktomi's Traffic Server
(http://www.inktomi.com). The latter is definately a more expensive
product, but has more features in the next release (due in a month or
so).

I've heard a lot of rumours recently, including a multi-threaded
version of Squid, backend storage improvements for more speed, etc.
So the real decision is what you can best work with. If you don't
mind some of the deficiencies of raw squid, and like getting up
to your elbows in the code, squid may be a solution. If you are
wanting a `fire and forget' solution, then squid may not be for you.
(I'm not saying it takes a lot to maintain, but recovery after
 a crash isn't always as graceful as it should be, etc)

Gary