Subject: Re: Network stuff
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1998 01:15:12
On Jun 19, 10:12am, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
} On Jun 18, David Guynn wrote
} >
} > Okay: this is my net:
} >
} >
} > 	|
} > 	ppp0
} >
} > 	win95 box
} > 	with NAT  ------10base-T--------ae0  Netbsd mac68k box
} > 	10.0.2.16					10.0.2.15
} >
} > So... the NAT is configured to forward packets (the DNS) to my name server.
} > The resolv.conf on the mac68k looks like:
} >
} > domain infi.net
} > nameserver 10.0.2.16
} > lookup file bind
} >
} > while the win95 box forwards them to 205.216.36.20, my DNS. but i ftp to a
} > known host
} >
} > netbsd-iicx#ftp ftp.apple.com
} > ftp: ftp.apple.com: Host name lookup failure
} >
} > And when I use a IP it says NO ROUTE TO HOST
}
} NAT doesn't work this way. Your max68k box will send packets to the real
} addresses, and NAT will change the _source_ address to your ppp0.
} When the answer comes back, your NAT box will do the inverse translation
} to the destination adres before forwarding it.
} So here you should have
} nameserver 205.216.36.20
} in your resolv.conf.

     There's another problem.  DNS usually uses UDP.  I don't see how
that could work through NAT, unless the NAT implementation has special
handling for DNS.  The only NAT setup I've done has a fully functional
DNS server on the NAT server.

Note to David:  Make sure your Mac has a default route pointing at
your NAT server.  That could explain why you couldn't connect by IP
address.

}-- End of excerpt from Manuel Bouyer