Subject: sd vs. wd performance
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1998 21:57:07
Greetings,
I just got an old 400 MB SCSI drive in my NetBSD-1.3.1 box. To check
the cabling I did

dd if=3D/dev/sd0d of=3D/dev/null

and noticed that on my Cx486DLC-40 CPU with an AHA1540B, it performed
to about a little less than one meg per second, which I consider ok.

But when I did the same on /dev/wd0d, I got a figure which was about
three times less!

How can the difference be this big? Is it because /dev/wd0d was
mounted (but the system was'nt running anything else)? Or is it
because of the interface differences between the AHA with DMA and bus
mastering, and the programmed io of the IDE interface?

Regards,
Anders (quickly copying everything vital to the SCSI disk - see other
posting about boot problems)