Subject: [q] A Mac is crashing my NetBSD/i386 box
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1998 15:47:01
I have the following scenario that has me frustrated.

I have a server running on my i386/NetBSD-1.3.2 system that accepts a
stream connection from a client process on a Mac (running MacOS 8.0).
The client can only process the incoming data from the server very slowly
(it is a Java applet under IE4) while the server has no problem generating
plenty of data for that connection.

Within what seems like a few seconds I've consumed all my mbuf space,
crippling my server system.  netstat claims I've got the expected 16Kb
in the queue.

The same server to another system, e.g. W95, W/NT, Linux does not have
this problem - the NetBSD seems to be properly blocking my writes.

The same server running under SunOS, Solaris and Redhat 5.0 does not
exhibit this behavior at all.

So can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this bad interaction
problem I'm having between my NetBSD box and MacOS 8.0?

Thanks for any pointers!

-- Ken Wellsch
   kwellsch@link-systems.com

P.S. I was able to recover last time via the console by killing my server.
% netstat -m
165 mbufs in use:
	165 mbufs allocated to data
102/2048 mapped pages in use
4116 Kbytes allocated to network (5% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
1030 calls to protocol drain routines