Subject: Re: Problems printing to a HP LaserJet
To: Knut A. Syed <Knut.Syed@nhh.no>
From: Peter Bentley <peter.bentley@nomura.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1998 09:44:21
Knut A. Syed wrote:
> Knut.Syed@nhh.no (Knut A. Syed) writes:
>
> > I will try Don Lewis' solution today, and I hope it helps.
>
> Well, it didn't.  If I do a 'echo test | lpr' i get something like
> this printed:
>
>  +-------------------------------------------------------+
>  |                                                       |
>  | k                                                     |
>  |  k                t                                   |
>  |                    k                t                 |
>  |                                      k  k   n nnn     |
>
> and several blank pages.
>
> It looks like a combination of the stairway to heaven and something
> else, but I can't figure out what it is.

Looks to me like a banner page (think "banner knut") but with no
carriage returns, just linefeeds.  Use "lpr -h" to get rid of the banner
page, and investigate the printcap man page for flags to ensure that you
get LF->CRLF mapping of the output stream to the printer.

(sorry for the vagueness, I seem to have missed the start of this thread
and I don't actually have any NetBSD boxen to hand to answer the
printcap bit)

Pete.