Subject: Re: Problems printing to a HP LaserJet
To: Knut A. Syed <Knut.Syed@nhh.no>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1998 16:05:25
On Jun 16,  8:10am, Dan J Fraser wrote:
} On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 01:48:39PM +0200, Knut A. Syed wrote:
} > I am running NetBSD 1.3, and I am trying to print to a HP LaserJet
} > connencted to the parallel-port.  I am able to boot DOS and print, but
} > when I try to print from NetBSD using the "default lp-entry" in
} > /etc/printcap I only get some letters shattered across the top of the
} > paper.  I have tried both /dev/lpt0 and /dev/lpa0.
} >
} > I am hope someone knows how this is supposed to be done, and hope you
} > can help me.
}
}
} I use this SUPER-INEFFECIENT filter for my HP LaserJet 5L...
}
} #!/bin/sh
} #HP LaserJet input filter to treat LF as CRLF
} perl -e 'print "\e&12a0o7.27C\e(s0p12h3T\e&k2G"'
} cat
} perl -e 'print "\eE"'
}
} That sets the printer for a slightly smaller type, sets its EOL handling to
} deal with Unix text properly, and ejects pages at the end of a printjob.

If you want to be more efficient, you can put something like
	ff=\EE\E&12a0o7.27C\E(s0p12h3T\E&k2G:fo:tr=\EE
in the printcap entry and dispense with the filter.  It's been quite a while
since I've done this, but it should be close.  I don't remember the exact
parameters that I used, but I remember tuning the font and line spacing to
get the Unix standard 80 columns and 66 lines per page.