Subject: Re: disk question
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: None <=?iso-8859-1?Q?Sigurbjörn?= Birkir =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lárusson?=>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1998 14:22:20
At 15:59 16.6.1998 +0200, Sean Doran wrote:
>This is only peripherally (ick pun) related to NetBSD,
>but I've run into a surprise with a disk I wanted to
>use with an i386 box with an Adaptec 2940UW controller.
>
>I've inherited a new Seagate 5 GB drive which I think is
>an ST15230WC -- it has an 80-pin single connector.
>
>I didn't notice the funny SCA-2 connector until I started
>mounting it into an Antec Data Tank shoebox, which expects
>to talk to a disk with a standard 68-pin + power setup.
>
>If anyone has advice on how to get the system to talk to the
>disk (ideally having the disk in the shoebox), I'd be grateful.

You can get adapter from SCA-2>68pin easily, the one I had the other
day had 4 very typical ID adjustment jumpers, a LED +5v, a terminator
jumper.... basically turning the thing into a standard ultra wide
drive.  There are various manufacturers making them.  I got
mine with the drive (Quantum Viking SCA) and it doesn't say anywhere who
makes it.  Try searching on the web.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit in the shoebox, the adapter+disk
in my case were not larger than your avarage 3.5" hard drive.

Best regards,
Sigurbjorn B. Larusson
Asst. System Administrator
Multimedia Consumer Services