Subject: Re: probing CD's...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/1998 22:36:12
In some email I received from Peter Seebach, sie wrote:
> Anyone had any trouble recognizing a Plain Old ATAPI CD with the 1.3.2 boot
> floppy?  I gave up on trying to figure out why my ethernet card wasn't
> working, and just burned a CD of the distribution set... but now I realize
> that the 1.3.2 boot floppy isn't finding my CD.  This is on a Gateway laptop.
> I've verified that the CD is detected by the BIOS, and I've used that CD
> under both Windows and BSD/OS before.
>
> Does the install floppy need special help to find a second IDE controller?

I'm not sure how you're starting the netbsd install but (if it helps), I
installed freebsd on a 5100 from Win95 (well, not exactly :).  FreeBSD have
a program on the cd-rom which loads the kernel into memory from DOS and
boots that way.  This allowed for a floppiless installation (which was
good because the floppy drive and cd-rom drive share the same position :/).
After that, I had no trouble, although the network card is a 3c589.  If you
can do the same with NetBSD, it might be worth a try.

Darren