Subject: RE: quick question
To: (Space Case) <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/1998 23:25:51
On 13-Jun-98 Space Case spoke unto us all:
# Given the setup below, can I find what I need on the net and do an install,
# or do I need to reinstall the old system hard disk to pull stuff off of?
# Or can I not get there from here (I'm thinking net install, once I've pulled
# an i386 snapshot onto my Mac).
#

I do this all the time.. I have one machine with a /distrib filesystem exported
to my local net.  I download the dists I need for an install, throw them on
that FS, then boot the install disk and nfs them from the /distrib machine.  It
works like a charm.  I usually install my machines by putting my one floppy
drive in, getting it started, then pulling it back out when the HD is bootable
and sane.  I've also done installs by dragging the disk over to another
machine, plugging it in and manually building the system.. but thats a bit more
grotesque, and I only do that when I have a broken, or no floppy controller on
the box.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html