Subject: Re: AdvanSys board support
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/1998 11:44:01
>On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 02:32:58 -0400
> Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com> wrote:
>
>...this is just a little editorial comment...
>
> > It also uses FreeBSD's busdma stuff, which isn't too entirely different
> > from NetBSD's so it shouldn't be too hard to port. I'd even be willing
>
>The fact that it's different _at all_ is, quite frankly, totally ridiculous.

No.  It points to deficiencies in the NetBSD interface; Deficiencies
that I attempted to talk to you about, but you dismissed me without even
having a conversation.

>It's so ridiculous, in fact, that I personally have very little, if any,
>motivation to attempt to share code with FreeBSD.  I mean, if they're going
>to adopt an interface invented by NetBSD, and then gratuitously change it
>(partially out of lack of understanding for some of the issues involved),
>then I have to ask myself "why bother?"

It's this kind of "high and mighty" attitude that makes the whole situation
ridiculous.  I had hoped to share an identical bus dma interface with
NetBSD, but I am unwilling to do this so long as the NetBSD interface
sacrifices speed and memory resources for absolutely no gain in
portability.  Perhaps if you had more of an open mind, Jason, you'd see
that at times it is you who has the "lack of understanding for some of the
issues involved."

--
Justin