Subject: Tandberg SLR and NEtBSD, was: [...] help with hardware choices
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@melog.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/1998 09:28:50
At 00:12 09.06.98 +0200, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

>No one has commented on the Tandberg SLR5 streamer, should it "just
>work" or has no one tried it? I see the 1.3.2 INSTALL document says
>"most SCSI tapedrives" but how about turning on the drive's compression?
>Should I go for a DAT drive instead? Anyone tried using a 15/30 GB DLT
>drive?

Wait, wait...  ;)

I've run a Tandberg SLR 4 just fine with NetBSD 1.3.1 and Amanda 2.4 on a
Mac IIci. That's NetBSD/mac68k, but the tape-specific code (st driver) is
MI, and I don't think the i386 SCSI code is any worse than the mac68k's.

I'd say, go for it; I would take a Tandberg QIC over a DAT drive any time.

In fact, we have switched from DAT to an SLR 5 at work some time ago. We
have several dead DAT drives from customers lying around here. The usual
fault appears to be that the DAT heads de-adjust slowly and when the drive
finally cannot even read its own tapes, all is too late because no other
drive can, either.

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg