Subject: Re: Setting up a new server, help with hardware choices
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/1998 12:17:08
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Gunnar Helliesen writes:
> > 1 x 3Com 3C900 Ethernet combo PCI
>
> I'm not sure how well we support this card. You may be better off with
> one of the de* type ethernet controllers.
>
> Perry

Yes, you can get a NETGEAR 10/100 card for $50 or less.  Or go with the
DEC equivalent card if you need a bigger name.  Currently the 'de' driver
has better media support, and I believe the 'ep' driver is PIO only.
I don't know how critical you system will be, but you might also consider
getting a couple of NICs.  Then you can be on two segments, run gated to
talk OSPF or something with your routers, and publish a loopback alias
address.  Then if you have a NIC, cable, hub/switch, or router failure
your traffic can automatically take the second path.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.