Subject: 1.3.2 vs IDE/CD-ROM
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/01/1998 09:45:33
I applied the 1.3.2 diffs patch to my 1.3.1 system (the revised diffs
file - I found no errors when applying), then rebuilt everything (new
kernel then new build of src). I then tried to mount a CD-R that I'd
cut earlier with the newer pkg distfiles. But I keep getting "cd0 :
Input/Output Error."

Now I admit I had had my Dell PPro200 (440FX) dismantled earlier and
very possibly I've done something stupid with the Sony CDU-311 jumpers
(I had pulled an IDE disk off the same chain and had to reset the M/S
jumper).

What is the most bizarre is I do have a work-around - if I do the following
in exactly this order, I am able to mount an ISO9660 CD-R.

	(1) run xmcd
	(2) install a music CD
	(3) play the CD
	(4) stop and eject that CD
	(5) install my 9660 CD-R disc
	(6) quit xmcd
	(7) mount_cd9660 -e -o rdonly /dev/cd0d /mnt

and I'm up and working.  Anything else, e.g. "disklabel cd0" or if I
unmount and then try to remount the same disk, I get "Input/Output Error."

What the heck am I doing wrong?

-- Ken