Subject: ESDI drives under 1.3
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1998 01:54:36
I'm trying to set up a NetBSD/386 1.3.1 box out of parts
laying around the home (you know the old story :-).

Basically, it's an old Zeos 486/33 with an ESDI drive
subsystem (DTC controller and an ST483E drive (304MB)), 8MB
of RAM and an NE2000 clone.

Basic low-level format and setup of the drive seemed to go
fine. I was able to set up a small bootable DOS partion on it.

The problem (if there is one) has come with the NetBSD installer.
Everything went find until the "Installing teh bad block table..."
message. That was 23 hours ago... Since then, it appears to be
doing *something* as the drive is accessed every 10 seconds.
I am hesitant to turn it off, assumeing it will finish at some
time this month, so my questions...

1) What is going on at this point in the install? bad144?

2) Is it supposed to take this long?

3) What issues are there with running an ESDI drive? Should
   I be using any special settings? I know that this controller/
   drive combo was used under an old version of SCO Unix, so I
   assumed it was set up correctly. No?

Thanks... <<<John>>>