Subject: Re: queue full with -current and AHC_TAGENABLE during make build
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1998 11:55:11
On Wed, 27 May 1998, Sean Doran wrote:
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, XP34550W, LXY4> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd0: 4341MB, 5899 cyl, 10 head, 150 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8890760 sectors

Here's a message from FreeBSD's SCSI mailing list that looks relevant:

Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 23:08:39 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Quantum Atlas II warning

If you happen to be running any Atlas II drives with a frimware level below
LYK8, you'd be well advised to upgrade your firmware.  We saw some really
nasty behavior on one of our machines here where, after a QUEUE FULL
condition, the drive would simply never reconnect for any pending
transactions.  In CAM, the recovery code was able to bring the drive back
to life by issuing a BUS DEVICE RESET, but I don't know that the older
aic7xxx and NCR drivers would fair as well. After upgrading to LYK8 (from
LXY4), this particular QUEUE FULL issue was resolved.  Supposedly LYK8 was
released specificly to deal with QUEUE FULL problems.  The drive will
still return QUEUE FULL for temporary write cache full conditions, but at
least now it doesn't occasionally lose it's brain after doing so.  YYMV.

--
Justin

I've heard of similar problems under Linux and Windows NT too, so it
probably is a drive firmware problem, rather than a driver problem.
BTW, you can get the firmware from ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Firmware/Atlas-II
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++