Subject: Re: egcs and shared libraries for C++
To: Peter Simons <peter.simons@gmd.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1998 12:09:41
On Wed, 27 May 1998, Peter Simons wrote:

: I am using egcs version 2.91.33 on NetBSD/i386 1.3 to compile my C++
: programs and everything works just fine, except for the fact that egcs
: simply refuses to build a shared version of the libstc++ library.
: While this is no major problem, it certainly is slightly irritating
: that every "hello world" type program I write is about 400kb tall.

Do the following (starting from the top of the egcs build tree, after
building & installing, nd assuming your --prefix is /usr/egcs - it SHOULDN'T
be /usr/local if you want to do this and still wish to compile some C++ with
the native compiler):

cd libstdc++
make piclist
ld -Bshareable -o /usr/egcs/lib/libstdc++.so.V.0

and add /usr/egcs/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.  Use 1 for V if
you are compiling egcs 1.0.x release; use 2 for V if it is egcs 1.1
snapshots.  That will keep the version numbers binary-compatible with the
libstdc++ in -current and possibly to ship with 1.4.

This is on my list of things to bug the egcs people about.