Subject: Re: reasonable serial speeds for i386?
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@ack.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/1998 13:56:17
On Mon, 25 May 1998, Eric S. Hvozda wrote:
> I'm trying to run ppp between 2 machines here at 115200.  Both
> machines have 16650's in them and are recognized as such.  One
> machine is a P200 and the other a 486DX66.
>
> I'm consistently getting 5.41Kb/s tho (I expected about double
> that); shouldn't I be able to go faster or would I need two pentium
> class machines for that?

I've got a 386/33 with 16650 UARTs, and it gets about 7.3-7.5KB/s through
a 64Kbit ISDN channel (with a 115200 baud connection to the ISDN terminal
adapter). It'll even get that rate on two channels going simultaneously
(to different places; I have one channel to my ISP and the other dialing
direct to work to get behind their firewall).

Do you have any of the PPP compression options enabled? I've noticed that
those tend to slow down the connection if you've got a slow CPU.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++