Subject: Re: Good and cheap laptop for NetBSD?
To: Jukka Marin , Port-i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Baudoin <Marc.Baudoin@solsoft.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/25/1998 17:45:12
Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> écrit :
> I'm thinking of buying a laptop to run NetBSD and X (and
> editors, gcc etc). Laptops are quite expensive here in Finland
> - the cheapest ones are almost $2,000 (USD) :(

It's not better here in France...

> Has anyone put together a WWW page about good laptops for this
> kind of use?

As I've been using NetBSD on my laptop for nearly 3 years now, I
was thinking of setting up such a page but never had the courage
to do it.

> Hm, I really think there should be a WWW page with lots of
> hardware info on it.. maybe a page where every NetBSD user
> could add comments and experiences about his/her own hardware?

OK, I'm in for it.  The pages should contain experiences about
specific laptops, with technical details for each one.  They
should also contain generic information about running NetBSD on a
laptop.  Information about PC cards would be neat too.

I don't have much time to devote right now but we can always try
to build a basic server.  I was also thinking it would be great
to have a specific netbsd-laptop mailing list on netbsd.org.  Can
it be done?

--
Marc Baudoin   -=-   <Marc.Baudoin@solsoft.com>
Security On-Line Software (Solsoft) SA