Subject: Re: Dual disk multiboot
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1998 16:38:11
In message <199805210725.AAA21815@saul7.u.washington.edu>Zach Fine writes

>Speaking of bteasy and multiple boot disks, has anyone tried to set up
>a multiple boot setup with one SCSI and one IDE drive?
>
>I recently added a 3.2gig IDE drive to my box, which already had a 3.2
>gig SCSI drive attached. I normally boot NetBSD from the SCSI drive.

I have a similar configuration at work, where I use the IDE drive
for some alternate OSes I occasionally need to experiment with.
I use the boot loader that comes with FreeBSD, boot easy.
It will automagically detect the second disk, and offer to boot
off of it as option 5.

In order to make this work, I had to spend a few minutes hacking
the boot-blocks to ensure that the default disk choice was hd1,
instead of sd0 or wd0.  This wasn't too tough, and after that it
all works just fine.

I can provide the exact patches on request -- it has been awhile
since I set this up, and I'll have to look for them.

Good luck!

Kevin
kml@nas.nasa.gov