Subject: RE: TR-4 SCSI Tape drives
To: Steve Paul <stevep@mccue.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1998 13:03:14
Not this time!

I've got all internal stuff, so I'm not using all 3 connectors on the
2940UW.  I've got the internal wide connector attached to internal disk
at target 0, and the internal narrow connector attached to the internal
disk at target 1 followed by the internal CD at target 5.  The internal
cable has one more 50-pin connector on it, and it is attached to the
_internal_ tape drive at target 6.  The "3rd leg of the Y" (ie, the
external connector) is not in use at all.

I've got the adapter set up for auto-termination, and everything works
just fine until I apply power to the tape drive.  Then, the adapter
hangs during auto-config, as soon as it looks at target 6.  If I set the
tape drive to target 2, the adapter hangs when it is probing either the
tape or the CD (which is at a higher unit #).  I also get various SCSI
errors (details forgotten, but SCSISIGI was one of them).

Checking out Seagate's web site, they say to make sure that the adapter
is set to use a maximum of 5MB/sec transfer.  But the adapter only lets
me go down to 10MB/sec (AFAICR).  But the same web site says that the
tape drive is known to work with the 2940UW, and it works just fine
under Win-95.  (Not that I'll ever _use_ Win-95, it's just a sanity
check!)