Subject: TR-4 SCSI Tape drives
To: 386BSD-list <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1998 05:19:33
Hi!

I just picked up a Seagate STT8000RS tape drive at bargain-basement
auction price, but can't seem to get it to work with NetBSD.

I've got an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller, with one hard-drive on the
-wide port.  On the -narrow port, there's another hard-drive, the tape,
and finally a CD.  Without applying power to the tape drive (but the
SCSI cable _is_ connected), everything works just fine.

With power applied to the drive, the Adaptec utilities can probe the
tape (and all other devices) successfully, but when NetBSD goes to do
its probe, it hangs the controller.  After several (2 or 3) "hang"
messages, the probe routine comes back and claims that it found a SCSI0
hard drive at target 6 (which is really the tape drive).

It sounds like a termination problem, but I've removed the jumpers on
the tape that enable TermPwr and ActTerm (since the tape is in the
middle of the bus, it shouldn't be terminated).  No change in behaviour.

Anyone got any other suggestions on what to try?

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |