Subject: Re: New IDE system: first pass
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1998 09:44:01
  However, I believe that it is important for us to document which hardware
  is known to be broken, and which is known to work. This is important for
  people who are buying hardware to run NetBSD on; given the choices that are
  available, it is important to have the information to be able to choose
  wisely.

I want to second this. I'm looking at having to consider a *BSD box as a
converter from ATM/fibre to UTP, for HARP or some similar IP encaps and
being able to scan the websites and see that specific, known cards worked
made a *HUGE* difference to the motivation.

I also live with a Pioneer low-end ATAPI drive, and can attest to the
wierdness of the device probe responses. It flips chars, it fails to probe
at BIOS level 1 time in 3. Lots of these devices are now out there (I mean
in the generic sense, mildly crocked older revisions of otherwise sane ideas)
and you need to know in some detail what is, and is not going to be a problem.

If there was a template for lodgement and a web-page I'm sure lots of
non-current (I'm on FreeBSD these days for no good reason) people would put up
a report.

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072