Subject: Re: NeoMagic/Dell Latitude
To: David Carrel <carrel@lounge.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1998 16:22:25
>But you should definitely tell Xig that you want a native NetBSD version so
>their marketing people know NetBSD lives.  (They'll tell you there isn't
>enough interest, so just tell them to count you as an interested
party.)

Yup.  If we keep happily using FreeBSD compatibility the marketroids
will never know how many NetBSDers are using their product and will
never realize NetBSD is a viable market.

>Also call NeoMagic and tell them they are being buttheads.  They won't
>listen, but they're fun to rail on.

Here's a few loose-and-wild ideas:

  i) call NeoMagic and tell them you've just described your problem
     to a list of X thousand readers. Those readers are now more likely  to
     avoid their products due to their nondisclosure policies.

  ii) call Micron and tell them the same thing about their laptops
   with NeoMagic chips.

  iii) Thomas could call Dell and  tell them the same thing
      about their laptops with NeoMagic chips.

Maybe that's counter-productive. If so, don't do it, forget I said it.
Otherwise, the worst that can happen is they don't listen.  And over
the long haul, it seems to've had _some_ impact on other companies
with similar policies.