Subject: Re: NeoMagic/Dell Latitude
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1998 23:03:19
On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 03:17:57PM -0500, Tom T. Thai wrote:
> I traded my ThinkPad760 for this Dell.  Just found out that my new
> Latitude uses the NeoMagic128 chipset.. and there is no driver for it
> 'cause they won't release programming info.
>
> Anyone know how I can get X running on this Dell?  I have 1.3.1 install
> and haven't touched XFree86 in over 3 years..

There was actually some guy who did a Linux XFree86 version with
support for some Neomagic chipsets. Dunno what he did; maybe he
reverse-engineered some stuff. He was only distributing binaries.
Maybe you can find the website somewhere.. I might be able to dig it
up for you.

The Linux emulation will need a little tweaking to get an X server
running. Let me know if you need help, I've been meaning to add
a few missing bits for a while, might as well do it now.

- Frank