Subject: Re: mpg123 with netbsd supports, sounds distorted!
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/1998 22:33:15
Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca> writes:

> 	sb0 at isapnp0 port 0x220/16,0x330/2,0x388/4 irq 5 drq 1,5
> 	sb0: Creative SB16 PnP Audio: dsp v4.13
>
> Which should mean that I get the full 16 audio support.  However when I
> use it to play MP3 (which I can play with CD quality under Win95 using
> winamp), on my Pentium 166 MMX PC, I get am able to hear every word, but
> the distortion makes it sound like a badly tuned radio station.

My guess is that it is playing in 8-bit mode.  Use mpg123 -vv to verify
this.

If it is, let me know and I'll see if I can help you with it.  If it
is anything like the PNP GUS driver, it doesn't export the names that
mpg123 looks for, and so it cannot find the right mode to play in.
And the 16->8bit conversion is pretty bad.

Please mail me the output of audioctl -a, and mixerctl -a, (me, not
the list) and I'll see if I can help you.

--Michael