Subject: Re: Questions about using XSM?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/12/1998 15:33:49
On Mon, 11 May 1998 22:10:31 -0700,
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> wrote on port-mac68k:

> You ought to try out NetBSD on your PC... especially if you run NetBSD
> on another platform.  I vastly prefer NetBSD over FreeBSD because NetBSD
> tends to do lots of things Right from the get-go, with an emphasis on
> clean design and implementation (one of the reasons we can run on so many
> platforms!).

I used to run FreeBSD with Tatsumi Hosokawa's PAO (APM and PCMCIA
support extension) on a Toshiba T3400CT subnotebook, just because
NetBSD/i386's APM and PCMCIA support didn't seem up to the job at the
time I made the choice a year and half ago.  The T3400 had only one
typeII PCMCIA slot, so it was necessary for me to be able to hot-swap
my modem, Ether, and SCSI PC cards.

I no longer use or own the T3400 but I'm curious how much progress
NetBSD/i386 has made in this area during the last 18 months.  I'd like
to know so that I will be able to make an informed choice if I decide
to buy another notebook PC.

Of course, I would much rather choose NetBSD than FreeBSD, since I
could share a single source tree with my mac68k.

Thanks,

Ken