Subject: Re: Info
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/11/1998 15:22:05
On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 08:54:16AM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > I didn't see any (public) disagreement with Mark's statement.
>
> Silence does not equate to agreement.  When I saw Mark's message, I

No, it equates to a lack of disagreement :-)

> wanted to flame him too, but resisted the temptation.  Most of us

My point is simply that flames are not required. People should of course
speak up and say 'NetBSD works great for me on an XXX notebook', because
we all want the opportuntity to hear people's good experiences as well as
troubles, it's all background information that helps when planning installs.

If Mark wants to state that he has better luck with FreeBSD on notebooks, I
don't want to see messages that say 'Don't talk about FreeBSD here, this
is a NetBSD mailing list'. I WANT to see 'In my experience, that's not true,
I have NetBSD running on lots of notebooks without trouble...'

The former type of response just attempts to hide reality from us. If there
are problems, we need to be aware of them in order to fix them.

 > don't *use* FreeBSD on any machine that's important to us (e.g., our
> laptops), and thus have no way to know how FreeBSD's PCMCIA support
> compares to NetBSD's.  So we assume that the statement is wrong, but
> have no real grounds for public argument.

Ted, the trick here is that you may never find someone who runs both
OSs (brands, models, whatever) in exactly the same configuration who can
give the perfect comparison. Feedback about success is useful though.

							David Maxwell

P.S. My above comments are in no way meant to endorse the type of messages
seen here occassionally as 'Well, you wouldn't have that problem if you
ran XxxxXXX.' For me that's a whole different kettle of fish. Sniping like
that doesn't benefit anyone - particularly, the attitude behind the message
makes it obvious that it's not feedback, it's abuse.