Subject: Re: /dev/audio not working?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/1998 08:39:27
> I had the same problem with some cheap sound card under winlose95.  I
> examined the card and noticed that the mic preamplifier had a gain of 10
> which was far too low for the mics I have.  I replaced one resistor and
> now the gain is around 100 which is much better..

Thanks for the info.  It definitely seems like the gain from the mic
is not enough - and I guess I could crank that up with mixerctl
(though I figured that would distort the signal? - I'm not an audio
buf).

Given that the mic is one supplied by creative to go with their sound
cards - I'd expect that they should work together reasonably.
Anyway I have a drawer full of Sun mic's at work, I might try one of
those.

--sjg