Subject: Re: Libretto 50?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/1998 13:49:12
In article <Esp31J.90@tac.nyc.ny.us>,
Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com> wrote:
> I just bought a ct 100, because
>
> - 50ct screen is smaller and dual scan so it is not easy to work in
>   a bright environment.

Everything I read indicated it was an active matrix screen, not DS.  The
big downer is that (at least for the US market), Toshiba apparently
thinks up to 12 bad pixels in the LCD is OK.

Also, are you using that commerical X server, or not running X at all,
or what?

> [other nice features of 100]

You forgot:
- costs ~4x as much :-)

They don't offer refurbished 100s either.  I don't know how much the
savings is (since they haven't updated the prices yet -- www.toshiba.com
says that new 50CTs list for $699 and refurbished ones for $1099! :->),
but I can see why my friend is tempted.

Still, personally I don't find the Librettos all that exciting.  They're
still too big to take everywhere (but would be hard to use if any
smaller), so I'd rather have a Palm Pilot (and will soon, I hope).  If I
needed something more capable that a Pilot for occasional use, I'd get a
full-size laptop, or even a lunchbox or old-Compaq-style luggable.