Subject: Re: Libretto 50?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/1998 15:00:55
In article <6ivt84$a0t$1@lotharon.endicor.com> tsarna@endicor.com (Ty Sarna) writes:
>I know there was discussion of Librettos before, but a quick search
>didn't turn up anything (is that new Alpha mail server w/ searching
>still in the works?), and I don't remember which models worked.
>
>The 50s are now quite inexpensive, and a friend is looking at getting
>one, but doesn't want to run Windows. He's intrerested ion NetBSD if
>it'll work.

It works fine. You have to be careful though when you install to exclude
the disk blocks where the system writes its memory when it suspends.

>He'd also need a thinnet-capable (and preferably 10/100 twisted capable
>as well) ethernet card for it. Any recommendations, and any special
>considerations WRT the libretto?

I use the 3c562d which is only 10Base/T + modem, because the 50ct has
only one slot.

I just bought a ct 100, because

- 50ct screen is smaller and dual scan so it is not easy to work in
  a bright environment.
- battery lasts a lot longer and it charges when the computer is on
- 100ct has cardbus.
- 50ct == 75MHz, 100ct == 166MHz.
- larger disk
- more memory
- better graphics card
- 2 pcmcia adapters

It is pretty fast for NetBSD though. It is 95 that drags the machine to
its knees.

christos