Subject: Re: i/o error in cu?
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: George Coulouris <glc5@cornell.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/1998 22:59:23
Duncan McEwan wrote:

> > Add softcar to the flags for tty01 in /etc/ttys and use ttyflags to reset the
> > flags.
> >
> > I'm not sure if there's a better solution, but this worked for me.
>
> The problem with softcar is that if the phone hangs up, cu won't notice
> carrier dropping.
>
> I created the file /etc/uucp/port containing the following
>
>         port mymodem
>                 type modem
>                 device /dev/tty01
>                 speed 38400
>
> which tells cu that the device is a modem, and that it has to play
> games with CLOCAL in order to open the device.
>
> Duncan

I tried tweaking /etc/ttys as suggested, but that didn't work. I created
/etc/uucp/port as above, and that did. It's not a big deal if cu can't
detect a dropped carrier; I'm just using cu to tweak my modem's config,
all actual connections go through pppd.

Thanks!

--
George L. Coulouris - http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~glc5/