Subject: Re: Disklabelling
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1998 14:10:07
>And disklabel still says
>to use ``disklabel -r'' to write the initial label, but it still doesn't
>work or make sense:  Why would one use -r [r=read?] to write an initial
>label?

Um, the manpage says disklabel -r reads and/or writes the label
directly via to or from the disk, rather than going through the
in-core copy.  That's what the old install shell scripts did on i386,
and it's what sysinst does on i386, too.

As in an earlier reply, I'd guess that you also need to install new
bootblocks which grok the new partition ID, and possibly install a new
kernel with updated disklabel-reading code, too.