Subject: Re: Disklabelling
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1998 08:28:46
On Sat, 02 May 1998 04:09:51 PDT Paul Goyette writes
> It was suggested that pfdisk was the solution/answer to both of the
> following two questions.  If so, then I am obviously doing something
> wrong, because it didn't work.  I'll be happy if someone calls me an
> idiot for doing things the way I did, but I'll be even happier if simple
> step-by-step instructions can be provided!  :)
>

> 1. When I boot my system, it complains about "old BSD partition ID" a
>    few times.  I know this is because I've still got 165 (0xa5) instead
>    of 169 (0xa9), but how do I change it without losing any data?
>
> I used ``pfdisk 0'' and then changed the definition of partition 2 from
> ``2 165 261 521'' to ``2 169 261 521'' and used the W command to write
> the results.  When I tried booting NetBSD, it told me that there was no
> bootable partition.  I was still able to boot Win-95 from partition 1.

You also need to install the new bootblocks, since the old ones look for a
partition with id 165. Run '/usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym
<rawdev>',  where <rawdev> is the raw device of the root partition.

--
Andreas Wrede              Planix, Inc.
andreas@planix.com         Networking, System Administration, Consulting