Subject: Re: Disklabelling
To: 386BSD-list <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1998 04:09:51
It was suggested that pfdisk was the solution/answer to both of the
following two questions.  If so, then I am obviously doing something
wrong, because it didn't work.  I'll be happy if someone calls me an
idiot for doing things the way I did, but I'll be even happier if simple
step-by-step instructions can be provided!  :)

1. When I boot my system, it complains about "old BSD partition ID" a
   few times.  I know this is because I've still got 165 (0xa5) instead
   of 169 (0xa9), but how do I change it without losing any data?

I used ``pfdisk 0'' and then changed the definition of partition 2 from
``2 165 261 521'' to ``2 169 261 521'' and used the W command to write
the results.  When I tried booting NetBSD, it told me that there was no
bootable partition.  I was still able to boot Win-95 from partition 1.

I reran os-bs to update the boot and active flags, but still it
complained about no bootable partition.  Fortunately, when I used pfdisk
to put back the original value for partition 2's ID, NetBSD booted up
just fine.

2. I've got a 2nd SCSI disk on my system.  I've run fdisk (both from DOS
   and under NetBSD), but still disklabel complains that the label is
   "fictitious" and refuses to write out a new one.  It (disklabel) says
   to use "disklabel -r" to write the initial label, but that doesn't
   work, nor does it make sense.

I'd already run ``fdisk -i'' on this drive from NetBSD, so I wasn't too
surprised when pfdisk showed me the existing h partition.  I ran pfdisk
and did a W any away to force it to update the on-disk label.  But when
I use disklabel under NetBSD (or even when I just boot), it still
complains about there being no on-disk label.  And disklabel still says
to use ``disklabel -r'' to write the initial label, but it still doesn't
work or make sense:  Why would one use -r [r=read?] to write an initial
label?

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |